Saturday, January 31, 2015

Coming Out of My Fear

There is something to be said about being published. It is exciting to think that someone understands and likes your work, but for me, it is more about feeling validated as an author and writer.

I have written poetry, short stories, and non-fiction ramblings since I was a little girl. I even tried my hand at songwriting when I was a teen. I was shot down quite quickly when I shared one of my songs with a producer who taped it and showed it to a then very popular music artist. This artist took my song, recorded it, and put it out there as his own. Since I was young and had no idea about the ways of the world, there was nothing I could do. So, I became really discouraged and simply … quit sharing my work.

I continued to write poetry and stories, but never shared it with anyone – even my closest friends and family. When I decided to return to college for my degree, my writing for academic purposes became the catalyst for pushing me forward. Suddenly, I was getting perfect marks from my professors, requests to share my papers with future students, encouragement to share my writing. And then, I started writing poetry to share on Twitter joining in the poetry prompts there. 

I focused on writing my blogs sharing little pieces of myself and received praise and encouragement there from strangers that really enjoyed my writing and wanted more. Pushing my limits, I started a novel, Dark Stranger, and it has taken far longer to complete than I thought it would.

Fear has had a huge factor in this. Fear that I’m not good enough and that my writing is trite and unreadable. That fear is quickly being squelched though.

My first real boost came from all the retweets and praise on Twitter. In October, e-Innovate Magazine invited me to submit a poem to publish. They accepted it and I was published for the very first time. From there, it seems to have snowballed.

At the encouragement of Ruben, aka @torturdcyclone on Twitter, I submitted poetry to Nina with Fiery Verse LLC for inclusion in her anthology, Neverlasting. I never expected to make it, but I did – with two poems! The anthology comes out this month. 

January has been a huge turning point for me. My blog Dancing Naked from the Heart won the Liebster Award for small bloggers, a real honor and boost to readership. Last week, my poetry submission for the VOElla poetry challenge made the top 14 and has been featured with the other amazing poets in the 14 on the VOElla magazine website. On top of all that, I am a new regular writer in VOElla’s Sensual Stories with my first installment coming soon. 

In the very same week, I was commissioned to write copy for a new lingerie company that caters to plus-size women. The focus of the monthly newsletter is promoting beauty for all size women and promoting just how sensual and beautiful all women are.

All of this, I share not to boast or brag, but to share my excitement and the thrill that people seem to like what I write. And to share how fear can stop us from achieving great things in our lives. I am a firm believer in magic and creating our own stories. In December, for Winter Solstice, I set the intention to release my fears and step forward bravely. As a result? All of those childhood memories of being told I wasn’t and would never be good enough are soaring out of my mindset, and confidence in my writing and myself is taking hold.

I am realizing that dreams really can come true. Sometimes, it just takes a couple of synchronistic small steps, and those small steps turn to giant leaps. Changing the thought processes and facing our fears head on takes us past what we ever thought possible. We are truly our own worst enemy, but I am becoming my own best friend now.

Dark Stranger may actually get finished this spring! I am writing more feverishly to get the story of the Dark Stranger and Nina out to the world. It is such a special story that spans lifetimes, and it is one that is begging to be shared. I have promised both Nina and her Dark Stranger (name will not be revealed until the book is out) that their story will be told this spring. Dark Stranger gives Nina confidence, and my own Dark Stranger has done the same for me. Perhaps they are the same ….


No comments:

Post a Comment